Saturday, September 24, 2016

Welcome To The Machine - Mixed Media Art Journaling

Hello again!

Today is all about TEXTURE.

I love texture so much, and I love creating layers upon layers. Part of the magic for me is creating something that is 3D and something that you can look at time and time again and catch something different in it each time.



For today's project I grabbed my art journal and started with a bit of collage and black gesso.

Next, I used Andy Skinner's stencil "Incognito" with DecoArt Media Crackle Paste and a palette knife. Simply scrape the paste through the stencil with the knife and put the project aside for a few hours to dry. Once dry the paste hardens and cracks and creates an effect like this:



Next up, I glued down some burlap and lace with super glue and went over it with white gesso. 


... And I also glued down a few metal trinkets...


I added a bit more black gesso to the background as well as Carbon Black and Payne's Grey Fluid Acrylic... before topping it off with "Copper Kettle" Metallic Lustre, and Titanium White and Metallic Gold acrylic.

Metallic Lustre is really fun to work with -- I just use my fingers to apply the "wax" to wherever I want it. I really liked putting it over metal, and throughout the crackle paste.



For the pages in the art journal I used scrapbook paper/plain white cardstock and mixed together Quinacridone Gold Fluid Acrylic and Glazing Medium. 

The glazing medium makes the paint more transparent so that you can still see other layers. It's one of my new favorite things!

That's it! A pretty simple double page spread that holds TONS of layers and mystery within it's pages. 



What is your favorite way to add texture to pages?

No comments:

Post a Comment