Saturday, May 21, 2016

Mark making and drippage with DecoArt Media!

Hello again!

Today I wanted to play around the DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics, Misters and of course -- the Americana Mandala stencil (one of my favorites!).

I started with just a wash of acrylic. When mixed with water, it almost has the feel of watercolors. I just love how versatile these paints are.

I used a cosmetic sponge with acrylic paint to stencil onto the watercolor paper.



Next, I wanted to add drips (of course) so I did a few spritzes of DecoArt Media Mister in "Violet".

Once the stenciled image was dry, I added some embellishments and enhanced some of the petals a bit.



Altogether for this piece I used:

Americana Decor Stencil "Mandala"
Media Mister - Violet
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics in - Titanium White, Payne's Grey, Pthalo Turquoise, and Cobalt Teal Hue.

To finish the painting, I made a glaze out of DecoArt Matte Medium and Pthalo Turquoise, and I painted over the entire piece. Then, I splattered some Cobalt Teal Hue and Titanium White.



I found this to be such a fun exercise in color and mark making. Truthfully, when I approached this piece I had no idea where to take it... so I just let the paint flow on the page. The use of stencils is also a great way to get past the frightening "blank page" stage.

Happy mark making!

Cheers, 
Pan



No comments:

Post a Comment