Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Art Journal Layering with Metallic Lustre, Stencils and Sprays!


   It should be no secret that I love, love, looooove art journaling. I am always seeking new inspiration for my art journal as well... and I recently discovered something that is quickly becoming an integral part of my routine -- DecoArt Metallic Lustre. 

In case you are not familiar, Metallic Lustre is a water-based, non-toxic wax that buffs to a brilliant shine. I have been using it with stencils and I have been achieving fantastic results... like this:


And this!: 




So, first of all... you will need to gesso your surface.













Looooook at that texture!

Then apply a layer of Payne's Grey and Quinacridone Violet. The texture you see is from where I closed the pages while the paint was still wet. I really like the grungy distressed effect!





Once that base coat of paint has dried I added a bit of DecoArt Media Mister in carbon black to darken up some areas... and added some stenciling with sprays below. 


I talk about these misters often - and there's a reason for it! I really like that they are permanent once dry... unlike many of the other mists that I own. I can use these and not have to worry about them reacting with other layers.
They are a lot of fun to let drip too!



Let it dry... and then it's time for the Metallic Lustre. 

I used a doily/mandala stencil and Champagne Ice Metallic Lustre. To apply the wax, just use your finger and rub it across the stencil. 


It really makes for a beautiful layer.


Next, using a paintbrush and gold and white paint, I added some dots to the page.


All that was left was adding a fun quote. I stamped it out on a separate page, then attached the pieces with matte medium.




Here's some other ATC's, cards and pages I've created with stencils and Metallic Lustre:





I hope you find this inspiring, I would love to see what you come up with! If you follow along with the tutorial, please leave a comment below!

Until next time.

Cheers, 
Pan



No comments:

Post a Comment