Monday, September 19, 2016

I'm just wishing in Autumn...


Hello again! Despite it being 90 degrees today in my corner of the world, I'm definitely feeling Autumn! What about you?



To start today's double page mixed media art journal spread I cut out a chipboard birdcage and birds with a Sizzix die cut and my BigKick. Next up, I grabbed some DecoArt Media Texture Sand Paste to give it some fun texture. Then, I set it aside to dry...

Aren't they so cute together?!

Since I'm actually working in a vintage ledger journal with thin pages, the gesso and matte medium are a lifesaver! I just use the matte medium to glue two pages together and then gesso over the top to make them just a bit stronger.

Now comes the fun part -- color! I picked out some fun colors that make me think of Fall... In this case, I used DecoArt Media misters in Carbon Black, Red, Primary Cyan, Orange and Yellow.


Pair those guys with an Americana stencil "Branching Out" ... and Boom! Recipe for beauty, yeah? I started with the darker colors (Carbon Black, Primary Cyan) at the bottom and worked my way lighter towards the top... (Red, Orange and finally, yellow). 


It's SO much fun already, but I'm not quite done...


Quinacridone Gold is very quickly becoming one of my favorite colors! I used a palette knife and mixed it with some Burnt Umber and some Americana Glazing Medium. 

The glazing medium creates a gorgeous transparent finish... I then dabbed at it with a paper towel to create even more texture...


I lined the branches with DecoArt Media Fluid acrylics in "Carbon Black" and added a bit of black gesso to calm things down just a bit. Next up, I painted in the tree with a mix of "Burnt Umber" and "Metallic Gold"...

These colors are so much fun together!

Finally, to finish out the journal pages I used Black Modeling Paste, a palette knife and the "Distressed Harlequin " stencil. 

Then, added some white highlights and doodly leaves throughout to make it a bit whimsical. 


I finished up the birdcage chipboard with some Metallic Lustre in "Copper Kettle" -- which I also incorporated throughout the page. Metallic Lustre always adds an element of beauty to art journal pages!




I also used a toothbrush to splatter some more white (Titanium White) and gold (Metallic Gold).


 This spread was so much fun to play and experiment with different mediums, colors and textures... and I think it's the embodiment of all things Autumn!

I think I need apple cider now...



No comments:

Post a Comment