Thursday, November 17, 2016

Re-purposing Leaves!




Hello! Today I wanted to make a fall themed collage painting. First I gathered and pressed some leaves. I left them pressed for about a week before pulling them out to play. Next, I painted some with a paint marker (most successful) and stamped some (unsuccessful, as you will see layer.)

I also found a vintage photograph and used DecoArt Media Matte Medium to glue it to the background. 
I also used DecoArt Media Mister in carbon black with a Americana 12 x 12 stencil.


I also incorporated DecoArt Media Fluid acrylics -- including "Metallic Gold" (one of my favorites).

To adhere the leaves I used matte medium and a layer of DecoArt Crackle Glaze. The glaze looks milky when wet (as you can see) but it will dry clear and glossy and crackle as it does!



Most of the fall themed colors I used were Metallic Gold, Quinacridone Magenta and White Gesso.  I also allowed the paint to drip, and used a toothbrush to "fling" paint at the matboard.


Another favorite technique : Often I want to journal on my pieces - but I don't always want people to be able to read it. I will scribble in a purposely un-readable fashion. I think it still adds a lot of interest to the piece -- but it also lets you maintain some privacy while you're at it.

That's it! I certainly hope my fall themed project has inspired you -- go collect some leaves!

(To explore the wide range of products that DecoArt has to offer - including some of my favorites : Fluid acrylics, Crackle Paste & Glaze, Gesso and Matte Medium, visit: DecoArt Store)

No comments:

Post a Comment