Friday, October 2, 2015

Autumn! - Mixed Media Art Journal Tutorial

Hello, hello!



Autumn is my *favorite* season of all. Everything about it is so inspiring - the chill in the air, the crackle of the leaves and the beautiful colors. Today, my art journal page was ALL ABOUT THOSE BEAUTIFUL COLORS!

First up, go outside and gather some leaves. I managed to find tiny leaves, since I'm going to work in a smaller journal. Take those leaves inside and apply a layer of matte medium to both sides. Matte medium, everywhere! Let those dry overnight. 


The journal I'm working in is a sort of handmade, altered/junk journal. I did a little simple bookbinding and made a cover for it out of cardboard. It looks like this:



It's pretty small. 

Supplies Used:
DecoArt Media White Gesso
DecoArt Media Crackle Paste
DecoArt Media Matte Medium
Liquid Glass
DecoArt Fluid Acrylics in : Burnt Umber, Viridian, Quinacridone Red, Quinacridone Violet, Diarylide Yellow, Payne's Grey and Metallic Gold.
DecoArt Mister in Carbon Black
Gathered Leaves 
Scraps (scrapbook paper, sewing patterns, junk mail, etc.)

I started by putting down a layer of DecoArt Media White Gesso, and let it dry overnight. Then, I used a palette knife to add a thick, messy layer of DecoArt Media Crackle Paste. I let it dry for a few hours.

When it dried, it looked like this:


The thicker the layer of crackle paste you use, the more dramatic the crackle effect becomes!

I also wrapped some cotton string around the pages and secured it on the back with some washi tape, to add a little more texture.

Now, add some collage material! You can use Deco-pauge paper from DecoArt, sewing patterns, magazine clippings, junk... whatever your heart desires.

Grab some matte medium and start layering, applying the medium on both the journal page, and over the top of whatever collage material you're using. 

One of the key things to remember when you're working with two pages - whatever you do to one page, also do a little bit of the same to the other. Work on both pages at the same time going between the two... so that at the end, it looks like one piece, not like two separate pieces.

Once the matte medium has dried, let's add some color. I used DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics in : Burnt Umber, Viridian, Quinacridone Red, Quinacridone Violet, Diarylide Yellow and Payne's Grey. When I lined the bottles up, they screamed "Fall" to me.

Go on, add some paint to the page. I started in the right hand corner with some Burnt Umber on the brush, blended that right into Viridian, then Violet Quinacridone, Red Quinacridone, Diarylide Yellow, then in the top left hand corner, ended with Payne's Grey (just a little bit.)



The fluid acrylics are fantastic for layering. They are rich with color, but they do not overpower your background completely (unless you do multiple layers and *want* them to.)

The texture!

Now, spritz a little Carbon Black (DecoArt Mister) in the top left corner, and let it drip.
That dark spot is where we will attach our leaves. 

For now though, start lettering the right page... I used a quote, "Autumn... the season that teaches us that change can be beautiful."

Here, I used a combination of stickers, stamping and my own handwriting to make it look interesting. (I also added some white, just with my finger ... to letter over.)



Move back over to the left page once the mist has dried. You can attach the leaves with Liquid Glass.  (I also applied liquid glass to the front and back of the leaves). It looks like a mess now, but it will dry completely clear.

I also didn't press the leaves flat against the journal. Since I prepped them with matte medium and liquid glass, they're pretty tough, and I liked to have the curling leaves.

Now, you can add in dots, lines, doodles with a small paintbrush. (I used some of the Metallic Gold Fluid Acrylics for this) You can drip some of the fluid acrylics you had used... and just go wherever your creativity takes you.

Here's my finished piece!






2 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! I always love the crackle effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love - love - LOVE crackle as well! :)

      Delete