Tuesday, January 17, 2012

This is ... Stevowitz.

Sometimes people come into your life and they make a big difference. Today's entry is about someone that has done just that... and maybe by learning more about who he is, he will also inspire you. 
Stephen is a photographer, artist,  musician, and a great friend.
We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams.
World-losers and world-forsakers,
Upon whom the pale moon gleams;
Yet we are the movers and shakers,
Of the world forever, it seems. 
- Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy

 * Who are you and what do you do?
Stephen Davis(a. k. a.  Stevowitz) and I take photos, draw, paint and spray.


 
* When did you first discover your creative talents?
I would have to say around the age of 10 or 11 when I moved to the country I really started to focus on being an artist.  I have always been a "doodler" though,  as long as I can remember.



*Do you consider your art to be a window into your soul?
Yes.  My art is usually a reflection of my mood or current life situation..


* What are some things that inspire you each day?
My Tumblr feed :D and DeviantArt.. Nature is a big daily inspiration as well.



* What role do you think the artist has in society?
Artists keep a visual record of humanity. I think the repetition and progression of art is as important as the keeping of historical record. Our art is a reflection of us.


* How would you describe both your photography and art styles?
Uhm... I like to take alot of natural and urban shots, as well as doing studio work with people and photoshop is a biggie.
As far as traditional art goes, I really like the illustration style.. I use a lot of heavy line work.  My painting style is yet to be developed,  heh... In time..



* What do you dislike about your work?
I need to diversify my subjects and work on getting more detailed.



* What do you like about your work?
I kike like that each piece represents something or someone important to me.. It's like a story in each one...

* What has been your biggest struggle in your life so far?
Fighting addiction...

* Who influences you?
H.  R.  Giger,  Dali,  Ralph Steadman, Alex Grey, Banksy and Mark Ryden to name a few..

* Share something funny that has happened recently.
Hmm... I got nothing.



* Describe yourself in five words.
Loyal, introspective, dark, stubborn and loving.

* With art -- what is your favorite medium?
Ink(of all kinds)

* Tell us something that not everyone will know about you:
I'm deeply mystical and believe our zodiac sign has alot to do with the way we are. I read a lot of mystical books

* Name something you love, and why.
My fiancé Sarah! Because she is my muse... She pushes me to be creative when I'm down and inspires me with her own creative talents.

* What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
Son, find someone you can be best friends with to marry.  - My Dad


* Professionally, what are some of your short and long term goals?
Short term: get better at art!
Long term: see my art in galleries and homes.

*In closing, any words for your fellow artists/musicians/photographers
Never stop creating.. Ever.
And don't be afraid to copy your favorite artist... It's a great way to break artists block and develop style.

SEE MORE & SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ARTIST!: 

No comments:

Post a Comment